Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Life Giving Coconuts

If you want fresh coconut water, grab a young, green coconut (manha) and a machete.
Hack away at the top...Until you see a hole...Drain into a glass and enjoy now or chill for later.
Halve the coconut...
Scoop out the sweet, tender meat and enjoy!Good news: coconuts are free and everywhere on Guam! It's a great local food source on Guam. Coconut water makes a great sports drink with potassium, magnesium, and sodium. (Don't have more than one or your digestive system will not like you.)

4 comments:

Tamagosan said...

Great work with the machete! And try the meat with a splash of soy sauce or liquid aminos; an unexpected treat.

Leesa Chau said...

Awesome! I love it! Do it yourself! It's a drink and food! so fresh, so perfect...

I've bought fresh chilled buko from Chamorro Village before. Yum!

And I've also bought buko juice in a juice box at Payless. I know, there's more waste and its not carbon neutral, but it is healthier than those sport drinks like gatorade which have things like wood resin in it. wood resin?! or fresh buko... easy choice!

Guam Locavore said...

Leesa, thanks for your comments. I haven't had the boxed buko juice yet - how does it compare to fresh?

Unknown said...

Hey cool blog. I am a nail artist from Guam. Check out my blog and follow. http://glamovision.blogspot.com/