Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Making Organic Raw Tahini

Tahini is sesame paste that is used in a variety of Middle Eastern and Asian vegan dishes including hummus.  There are many types of tahini including hulled or unhulled seeds, raw or roasted seeds.

For me, there's nothing quite like a dollop of organic raw tahini to accompany any meal. I find the flavors of the other foods are enhanced by the creamy, sweet, and flavorful tahini. I also use it to make different dishes like baba ganouche, and it can be used as a cheese substitute.

However, finding raw organic tahini is difficult on Guam. After searching for months with no luck, I finally decided to make my own.
From Guam Vegan
Ingredients
Organic sesame seeds
Organic sesame oil
Salt (optional)

   1. Grind sesame seeds in a food processor or coffee grinder until granular.
   2. Add small amounts of oil until smooth with the consistency you desire.
   3. Since there are no preservatives, please keep it refrigerated and consume in a timely manner.
From Guam Vegan
This works for any kind of nut butter, such as almond, peanuts, or cashews. I prefer raw nut butters, but nuts may be roasted with salt in the over prior to grinding.

1 comment:

Robert Oceans said...

You are amazing as usual. I know it might make it difficult, but your blog is great and I think it could be better if you have a few links under your profile where you collate your recipes, so people can see a good list of your vegan recipes. You can style them your way (already great) or like food tv website. Just a thought and suggestion, since I guess the only way I'll taste your cooking now is to try and cook your recipes (which I'm happy for because you, as a true chef, didn't really use recipes)...