Monday, June 21, 2010

Warning! Fortune Cookie Cafe is Highly Addictive


Most Asian restaurants can make vegan food because their kitchens are stocked with fresh vegetables and due to the fact that Buddhist vegetarianism being widespread in Asia. However, the Fortune Cookie Cafe in Dededo is unique to Guam because one of the owners, Mr. San Nicholas, is vegan. He and his partner Ms. May have trained their staff and very skilled Thai chef to cook vegan food. As a result, you will not get confused looks from the staff when you place your order and you can expect to get true vegan food.


The restaurant itself is large with a Chinese restaurant feel and large round tables for parties of 10. There is a lunch buffet for under $10, which is more suitable for non-vegetarians. I usually order Pad Thai with mung bean noodles (for a less starchy version) and Tofu Penang Curry with extra vegetables. You should also try their fresh lumpia (spring rolls made from rice wrapper, not fried) with peanut curry sauce and their green papaya salad. Every dish costs around $10, and there is enough to share or eat family style.

It is not very often that I become obsessed with a restaurant, but Fortune Cookie Cafe surely is worthy of addiction!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! So if I order the dishes you ordered do I have to say to make it vegan or is it already vegan?

melissa said...

Yum! I've been thinking of trying FCC, but hadn't done so yet. Now I MUST! Thanks for sharing! I just heard about Nuts and Grains Health Food Store, too. Have you been there?

Leesa Chau said...

Hi Melissa! It's been a long time since I've been to Nuts and Grains Health Food Store located behind Oka Payless near the hospital. What do you think of it?

Unfortunately, Nuts and Grains did not have any vegan food last time I was there, so I rarely go. They did have menu items for ovo-lacto vegetarians and carnivores. While I was last there, I also found some of the food items on their shelves were way past expiration, which is not uncommon for Guam, but I wan't impressed. However, if things have changed there, be sure to let me know and I will check it out in the future.

Leesa Chau said...

If you eat at Fortune Cookie Cafe, be sure you ask for vegan dishes or strict vegetarian dishes (same thing). They do not yet have a dedicated vegan menu, but I'm going to ask Peter to make one so it will be easier for us to order.

The only place on island that serves strictly vegan items from a vegan menu is Palm Cafe at Outrigger Hotel. You still have to ask for the vegetarian menu (which is vegan, but the staff know the menu as vegetarian), but rest assured, all 10 or so items on there is vegan.

Happy grazing!