Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cheese Alternatives

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the phrase, "I could never be vegan, I love cheese too much!"  I have to admit, it was probably one of the hardest things for me to give up when I made the decision to "go vegan," too. There's just something about cheese, I guess. 

I have long been frustrated by the deficit of good, vegan, cheese-like products, but the options seem to get better and better all the time. I was thrilled recently when I discovered that Payless in Dededo is now carrying Daiya Cheese - a vegan, soy free alternative to the gooey deliciousness we love to hate. Daiya Cheese comes in shreds, both mozzarella and cheddar style, and Payless sells it for $5.59 per two cup bag. 

Nutritionally, it is essentially empty calories, so it's not something I would use liberally, or often at all. It is soy free, which is a big plus for those of us who try not to rely too heavily on soy, but that means that it doesn't have much to offer in the way of vitamins and minerals, since it is essentially comprised of starches and oils (unfortunately, the label is rather vague about the oils used, but one of them appears to be canola oil, which is quite disappointing if you're familiar with the controversy surrounding it). One serving is 90 calories and contains one gram of protein and six grams of fat. What is so unique and wonderful about Daiya cheese, however, is that it actually melts, and does so quite easily.  Once melted, it also has that familiar stretchy quality. Again, nutritionally, this doesn't really matter, but it is nice to be able to enjoy an otherwise nutrient packed, homemade pizza or some nachos every once in a great while and actually have something to hold all of the toppings together. On a recent visit to the states, I discovered a couple of pizza places that started offering vegan pizza using Daiya cheese. So far, I have used it on pizza, nachos, and in lasagna, all with good results. 

When you're just looking for a cheesy flavor, however, there are much more nutritious options that you can make at home.  I love this recipe over at food.com for vegan cashew cheese sauce (the sauce is made by omitting the agar agar) for a variety of different things. I use it most often in enchiladas and it works wonderfully. Personally, I prefer to cut the oil in the recipe by about half, but it works well either way.

When I need a quick and easy, yet nutritious meal that doesn't require a lot of advance preparation, I often make a different cheesy sauce for use on pasta, changing the recipe depending on what I have on hand. My pasta of choice is Eden Foods' organic veggie shells, which are available at Payless for $4.39 per box. As a nursing mom, I'm always looking for ways to boost my protein intake and this pasta contains 9 grams per serving. I like to add peas or broccoli to the pasta, too. For the sauce, I use:

About half of a small onion, diced
1 clove garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil, or vegan margarine
1 cup white beans, pureed (see notes below for alternative)
1/4 cup water or broth
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard, or 1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 - 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions and garlic in the oil until the onions are clear. Add pureed white beans* and liquid, mustard, salt, and pepper. You can add additional spices to tweak the flavor for a more complex sauce. My favorite version involves a bit of cayenne pepper, a tiny dash of nutmeg, and a dash of Bragg's liquid aminos. Heat throughout.  Remove from heat and stir in nutritional yeast, using more or less depending on taste and desired thickness. 

*I prefer to use white beans in this recipe, as they are a more nutritious alternative, but if you do not have them on hand you can increase the oil and add 2 Tbsp. flour just after the onions have cooked.  Increase the liquid to 1/2 cup and in place of water, use broth or your favorite unsweetened non-dairy milk. Be sure to add the flour first, mixing it with the oil before adding any other liquid to avoid clumps. Then, add the liquid and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately five minutes, then follow the recipe normally.

Do you have a favorite non-dairy cheese? Have you tried homemade alternatives yourself? Tell us about them in the comments!

No comments: