Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Interview with Cafe Dharma


Cafe Dharma is Guam's newest vegetarian hotspot and our only raw food eatery. The food is amazing and delicious! My personal favorite is the Truth Tacos. It is very tasty and satisfying. It has the crunch and flavor of tacos without the guilt or empty calories.  They also have at least one cooked dish, the Magic Mushroomwhich, which melts in your mouth and is a must for mushroom lovers. Be sure to try the weekday lunch specials, which are created daily, based on the freshest available ingredients on island. They also have raw desserts and yummy drinks. Be sure to ask for the vegan versions, as some items contain milk products.

The best thing about Cafe Dharma is the taste and the great feeling I get afterwards. I am happy knowing I ate something healthy, but even better, I feel really energized from the boost of nutrients that can only be gotten from raw foods and the personal touch from Cafe Dharma.

Pictured below is the lunch special, sushi bowl with coconut sashimi and tapioca for dessert.

Cafe Dharma is located in Maite at Synergy Studio across from the Airport (between Benson's Hardware and First Hawaiian Bank). Look for the Synergy Studio sign on the south end of a two-story beige strip mall.  The entrance is on the south side of the building around the corner from a video store. Go upstairs. They are open on weekdays for lunch and dinner, and Saturday for lunch only. Aside from free WiFi, Cafe Dharma is a nice place to hang out, chat with Ruthe Paeste and Mark Gutierrez (the owners), do some yoga with Claire Calvo (Synergy owner), and meet other healthy conscious people on Guam. 

Cafe Dharma (at Synergy Studio)
751 Chalan Machaute, Maite, Guam
472-9642

Here's an interview with Ruthe Paeste, Partner & Manager of Cafe Dharma.

1. What is the benefit to eating raw foods? Why eat raw foods?

-Raw food has so many health benefits.  Keeping vegetables, fruits and nuts in it's natural state keeps all the nutrients intact.  Why eat Raw?  Eating Raw is healing for the body, it'll give you more energy, it will make you "regular", you can eat as much as you want, it will make you rest better, and it will make you emotionally and mentally focused.

2. Was it easy for you to change to a raw food diet? Why did you change?

-It wasn't too hard for me to switch to RAW.  I had somebody to transition with.  We both experimented together and we we supported each other.  Honestly, I initially made the change to lose weight.  However, as I got more into the Raw lifestyle, I realized there was more to it.  There were so many health factors... I was feeling stronger, seeing things clearer and overall, I became more in tune with my body.

3. I like salads, but I'm not sure I can eat them for every meal. How do I become a raw foodist? Will I be hungry all the time?

-Being Raw doesn't mean doing only salads every meal.  For me, if I was to have ONLY salads, I like to add seaweed, nuts or Goji berries.  You need the minerals and good fat to keep you full.  I do alot of fresh coconut water smoothies loaded with the nutrients I feel my body needs.  Once you feed your body what it needs, you won't be hungry all the time.  But I do admit, I have to make sure I eat or have a smoothie every 3 hours. 

-To be a Raw Foodist, one should research what kind of Raw Foodist you want to be.  There are different aspects of Raw... find what suits you.  It's not all salads and fruit.  There is so much more.  Find what works for you, listen to your body, if it responds well with what you choose, then you are on the right path. 

No comments: